The City of Frankfort is partnering with the Kentucky Solar Energy Society (KYSES), Apogee-Climate & Energy Transitions, Franklin County Cooperative Extension Office, and Kentucky State University Land Grant Program to launch Solarize Frankfort, a program to give Frankfort residents, small businesses, and organizations bulk-purchasing power to obtain discounted rates on solar installations. Last year over 90 residents went solar through the Solar Over Louisville Solarize campaign!
Solarize Frankfort makes investing in solar easier by connecting participants with pre-screened solar installers and providing access to bulk-purchase discounts (up to 15% off) for solar photovoltaics (PV) installations.
Our Solarize Frankfort Team will help make it easier to go solar by:
- Pre-screening your home to see if your property is a good fit for solar;
- Connecting you with our two vetted, experienced solar installation partners, Pure Power Solar or Wilderness Trace Solar;
- Providing a step-by-step walk-through of the solar installation process.
By going solar, you will:
- Reduce your energy bill and potentially increase your property value!
- Reduce your carbon footprint and environmental impacts!
- Help the City of Frankfort meet its goal of 100% renewable electricity community-wide by 2030!
- Support local solar jobs!
Solarize Frankfort is open to all homeowners in Franklin County and its six surrounding counties (Anderson, Henry, Owen, Scott, Shelby, and Woodford), as well as small businesses, places of worship, and non-profit organizations. A 30% Federal Tax Credit is available for solar PV installations, to homeowners and businesses, and is now also available to non-profit and governmental agencies.
Each Solarize participant is responsible for the full cost of their solar installation, and all contracts will be solely between the participating property owner and the solar installer. The City of Frankfort, KYSES, and their partners do not assume any liability related to the installation.
Be aware that some companies or individuals might falsely claim to be associated with this program. Solarize Frankfort will not come to your home or call you unless you complete an Enrollment Form. We recommend you not provide personal information to anyone who might come to your door to talk about solar panels, claiming to be with Solarize Frankfort, unless you have submitted our Enrollment form. You should also verify that the person who contacts you is associated with KYSES or one of our two installation contractors (Pure Power Solar or Wilderness Trace Solar), if you have requested an assessment.
Will solar panels work on my roof?
To find out if solar panels will work for your home, business, or organization, sign up for a free solar assessment from the Solarize Frankfort Team. There's no obligation to buy anything.
The assessment accounts for:
- The direction your house faces,
- How much shade affects your roof,
- The amount of space available on your roof for solar panels,
- If your roof is not an option, whether another location might work for the solar panels (your back yard, garage, or barn roof), and
- How much energy you use in a typical year, which determines how many solar panels you need.
If your property is a good fit for solar, your information will be shared with one of our selected installers who will reach out to you within three days to discuss the next steps. If it is not a good fit for solar, we will let you know the reason(s) why. If your property has undergone recent changes, a reassessment can be conducted.
Before you sign up, please gather the following information:
- Your total electricity usage (in kWh) for the past 12 months.
- Roof age and material, if known
Participation is open to anyone in Franklin County and surrounding counties (Anderson, Shelby, Henry, Owen, Scott, and Woodford). Enrollment deadline is August 11, 2023.
Solarize Frankfort is one of three local Solarize campaigns supported by KYSES in 2023. Click on the following links to learn about and enroll in the Solarize campaigns in Lexington and Louisville.
For more information, please email SolarizeFrankfort@fastmail.org.